Yep, a toddler lives here.

We had a serious Snack Time Situation yesterday. I gave J his fruit packet (if you don’t know what I’m talking about- there are these awesome pureed fruit/veggie/yogurt/grain blend packets for toddlers that are great. I even grab one from time to time and like to put them in my morning smoothies) which he usually is good at just sucking down in 13 seconds. Usually. At this certain time, however, Seth and Max came in from outside in the middle of Snack Pack which is apparently the most exciting thing in the world. J took off running and screaming towards them, flinging his pack around along the way (think of how a toddler runs- arms everywhere). The end result was purple carrots, blueberries, and pears all. over. the kitchen. It was one of those moments where you choose to go insane or laugh. I laughed so hard I think I scared Jackson. Seth found it a little less funny… Anyway, I got a quick picture of a small portion of the mess. I felt like Dexter, analyzing and photographing splatters. And yes, that is a bottle of ketchup on the floor. J loves to get food out of the pantry and re-distribute it around the house. I found quinoa in the herb planter the other day. Makes sense, thanks J!

Maybe I should go ahead and talk about how I made the growth chart. It’s one of my favorite things I’ve made so far. And it was super easy. I saw these growth charts that looked like giant rulers in some of the kid catalogs (maybe Pottery Barn or Land of Nod) and fell in love instantly. I started looking for a 1×12 but was having a hard time finding one that was at least 7′ (It’s quite likely that will be necessary!). I talked with my dad about where to find them and he mentioned that he had a shelf that was about that size. Seriously, he took down a shelf so I could make this project. I just had to square it off at each end with a saw, sand it way down (the front, top, bottom, and all edges to make it toddler friendly) and stain it with a dark wood stain I am obsessed with. Then I marked every inch with a Sharpie, making the 1/2′ and 1/4′ marks longer (like a ruler would at the 1/2″ and 1/4″). I wanted the bottom to be flush with the bottom of the cabinets, so I measured and started the ruler at 3 1/2″. I copied the Century font for numbers (1-7) because I thought they looked especially ruler-ish and painted those using black acrylic (I just folded a piece of paper and used that as a guide for size for each number and free-handed them). Then Dad and I used 3 screws and put ‘er up on the end cap of the floor-to-ceiling cabinets in the kitchen. I decided that this is a permanent feature in the house so I wasn’t worried about putting holes in the cabinet, but if that wasn’t the case we’d have to think of another solution. My intention was to make it blend in with the house but be something we can eventually take down if we do decide to move (which we never ever will decide to move).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s