You know how you completely hate part of your home but it would take a TON of work to change it so you just close your eyes when you’re near it? That’s how I felt about our front yard. Which is quite dangerous because it’s not safe to have my eyes closed as I pull in the driveway or play in the front yard. So we did something about it.
BEFORE: Jungle, overgrown, messy, over-designed.
AFTER: Clean. Simple.
That sums it up! Pics? I suppose:
From 2 different angles- and this doesn’t even do the Jungle justice. These were taken in October (2013) and a lot of the plants were already dying off. Plus, this year we had a ton of rain and all the plants really took off.
We did all the removal ourselves. It was really hard work. I didn’t get many pictures. Throughout the summer, I dug most of the bulbs and small plants (we had irises, hostas, peonies, lavender, and hydrangeas). My brother in law came one day with his skid loader to pull out the trees and scoop as much of the rock as he could. That was a HUGE help, but we still had to rake and shovel a lot of rocks. Enough that it was hard to be alive the next few days. When we had the landscaping company come over afterwards, he said we saved about $3K by doing the work ourselves- that was worth it!
We hired a company to lay the sod and do the edge work. I would do that again in a heartbeat- they knocked it out in one day, did a great job, and cleaned up after themselves.
I mean, the kids helped. Obviously.
And the (almost) final:
Who knew there was a house behind all that?!
See those orange flags? Those will be white hydrangeas. I asked for 6 across the front and they brought me 2 plus some other kind of red-leafed edging bush. I said no thanks. They said they’ll order more hydrangeas today. So sometime in the next few weeks those will be planted. You know I love hydrangeas, and the kids do too!
It was hard to tear this out, but it was kind of necessary.
I didn’t get any pictures of the sides- there’s about 2 1/2′ of landscaping along the east side of the house that was literally 100% weeds. I had always left them alone because it’s really steep and I figured having weeds would prevent a little more washout than having it bare. Now its clean and simple- we scattered cobblestones to help keep the foundation protected and filled in the same river rock as the front of the house. No holes, no room for weeds.
The only thing that stayed is that tree- and we cut it way back too. It’s so nice to have this project (almost) done! After 4 years of cringing every time I come home I can finally admire our front yard.
One final before and after:
On to the next project.